Forth House, Kirkcaldy
Work has started on the conversion of Forth House, Kirkcaldy to luxury apartments.
The existing building was built around 1860 by the Jeffrey family to house a linen weaving factory. Later works saw the removal of the rear of the building to leave the L shaped building that sites on the site today. The ornate North East and North West natural sandstone elevations were retained.
The existing 2 storey building then subsequently had a further storey added in place of the original pitched roof which was built using re-constituted stone. The most recent use of the building was the former Fife Council head offices.
The current proposals include a modern conversion to create 32no. Residential apartments and 1no. Semi- Detached House. 3no. ground floor apartments will be afforded private gardens.
39no. Private parking will be provided for all residents (inc. 3no. Accessible, 6no. Electric Vehicle Charging , 2no. Motorbike & 4no. Visitor Parking)
The proposal over clads the existing top storey and introduces a pitched roof reminiscent of the original design. Windows to this top floor will be rationalised to match the lower windows and the cills lowered to match a number of the existing windows on the North West elevation.
The proposal externally reintroduces windows in existing bricked up openings and introduces additional openings to the rear of the property that will take reference in scale and rhythm to the rest of the building. The externals works are to be altered to reduce the amount of hard standing and provide amenity using soft landscape with private and communal gardens for future residents. Existing links to the public gallery gardens will be retained allowing additional and ample amenity space for the proposed flats.